How to Pick a New Roof
The things you must consider when choosing what to do for your new roof.
Posted by: Jonny, on Saturday 28th August 2020
Your new roof is going to be the first line of defense against the elements, safeguarding your home and your investment. Be sure to make the right choices to get the roof that fits your needs.
Shingles or Metal
While there are many roofing options, the most common are Asphalt Shingle and Metal. Shingle and Metal roofs are both great and classic options to choose from. Each with their own advantages and disadvantages.
Shingle Roof Advantages
- costs less upfront and sometimes overall
- less labour involved with installation
- easier to repair when damaged
- can be walked on without special consideration
Metal Roof Advantages
- can cost less in the long-term due to it's durability and longer lifetime
- more durable and less likely to be damaged by the elements
- fire fresistent
- more Eco-friendly and energy-efficient
- more colours and appearance options available
A properly installed metal roof can potentially last a lifetime and create energy savings due to metal handling heat better making it well worth the extra costs. Without a doubt, metal is more recyclable than shingles. To find out what roof is best for you, definitely feel free to contact us.
Yes, the appearance is an important factor. Colours and textures of your roof can completely change the look of your home. The appearance can even affect the performance of your roof being that darker colours absorb more heat and reflect less sunlight. Keep these points in mind:
- Pick a colour/texture that compliments the other colours of your home. Make sure these elements work and not against your home's style.
- Check with your neighbourhood association (if you have one) and make sure what you are planning is allowed by the rules
- Pick something you like! You're going to have to look at it for a long time
If you're still not sure, contact us and we'll be happy to help you as best as possible.